I had the pleasure of listening to Ben Horowitz speaking to Sir Martin Sorrell last week; Two brilliant and fascinating guys. Sir Martin Sorrell made some very interesting points that I could only testify to myself, but that very rarely actually gets recognised.
Let me give you the Cliffs’ note version;
- People who extract themselves from the details will always fail
- Teams are very important but at the end of the day, it is individuals that make a difference
- Managers who let day to day issues get in the way of them executing the strategy will fail; always keep an eye on the strategy.
- Three things are important; technology, data and content
- You have to be in a consistent state of paranoia.
- Well put and very inspiring to understand the mind of one of the most successful business leaders around.
Also, given the fact that WPP makes over 50 acquisitions a year I was particularly curious in Sir Martins’ view on acquisitions. I think his comment went something like: “People think acquisitions are easy. Once the deal is done it is done. In reality, that is when the work really starts”
I think we can sign up to that at Betsson….